Many years ago, I attended BYU Education week. One of the speakers was a psychologist who lived in my childhood ward. He claimed that most of the problems in people's lives can be traced back to frustrated expectations. I believe that. I look at the parts of my life that cause me the most stress and anxiety and they happen to be the things that I expected to be different.
"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old-time rail journey . . . delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have a ride." -Gordon B. Hinckley
7 comments:
That is a great quote.
How true...it seems like our expectations are constantly being inflated by mass media and we come to believe that not only will life be that way, but that we are entitled to such "perfection". Thanks for the great reminder....
I love that quote, it is true that our lives hardly meet our expectations on a daily basis. But in the eternal perspective, we have it pretty good! Life has been a roller coaster for as long as I can remember, but I love the ride!
nice reminder
Nicely said. I think some of our feelings of frustration can also be cyclical. Various distractions can keep us from focusing on them.
That is a great quote. Thanks for the reminder!
I need to post that somewhere.
Post a Comment