Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Heart Week

In honor of Valentine's Day I thought I would share a little "heart" story that I witnessed today at the gym.

I'm nearing the end of a particularly difficult spinning class. Made difficult by the fact that I've had too little sleep and it's cold and I'd rather be reading my book than cranking away on a spinning bike.

All of a sudden a woman across the room gives a little shreik and jumps. It isn't noticable to most people in the room but I happen to be facing her. The woman next to her asks if she's OK. She keeps saying that she is, but she is clearly shaken. After a few moments, the spinning instructor goes over to check on her. When it happens again she sends someone out to call 911. Now everyone is off their bikes and wondering what to do.
It turns out that this woman, who appeared to be close to my age, has a pace-maker. She had it adjusted a week ago and in the middle of spinning it started shocking her. Yowza! The paramedics arrived after the fourth shock and took her to the hospital and I've been thinking about her all morning. I hope that she is well. I hope I see her in spinning again. I think she's a spinning "rock star." I don't know a lot about pace-makers but I think doing anything that might cause an electrical shock to the chest takes guts.

My thanks to the spinning "rock star" for giving me a big "jolt" this morning. Modern medicine can be miraculous and people certainly overcome amazing things. What a great time to be alive.






4 comments:

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

Lisa, if your boobs sag, mine have left to visit other body parts. You kill me.

Lisa said...

Denise,
ha ha ha. Yes but you gotta love them. see you in a few weeks!!

Amanda Neilson said...

Wow- you sure miss out on a lot of things when your lying in bed with the flu. I hope she's OK.