Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles




About 12 years ago I visited San Diego on business. Yes, I used to have gainful employment. I used to get dressed up and go into an office, sometimes I traveled on the company card and stayed in nice hotels. My kids find that whole scenario both strange and hilarious.






When I traveled to San Diego, my sister met me there and we visited this great little restaraunt that she found in Sunset magazine. They served the best pumpkin waffles I have ever had. Since that time, my sister and her husband and I have tried various different recipes, unsuccessfully, trying to replicate the perfect texture and taste of these waffles.

Last week I found myself back in San Diego with my sisters and my mom. My brother-in-law, in his endless search for the perfect recipe, found the name and address of the same restaraunt we visited 12 years ago. We were delighted to find that the pumpkin waffles lived up to the memory and were quite delicious. We were even more delighted to find that they sold a mix so we could make them at home. We eagerly bought several mixes, feeling quite smug that we might at last be about to figure out the recipe.
We stopped at the bathroom on our way out of the restaraunt only to find that the recipe for these most delicious waffles was hanging on the wall. It had been published in the November 2000 issue of Gourmet Magazine. Is that called irony?












Pumpkin Waffles from Cafe 222


We've found these waffles work best when make in a Belfian waffle iron.


2 1/2 cups flour

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. cloves

4 large eggs

1 cup whole milk

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup pumpkin

6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted



  • preheat oven to 250 and preheat waffle iron.

  • whisk eggs in a large bowl until blended, then whist in mild, buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. whisk in dry ingredients just until smooth. whisk in dry ingredients just until smooth.

  • brush waffle ifron lightly with oil and spoon batter into waffle iron, spreading quickly. cook according to manufacturer's instructions.

  • transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm. make more waffles in same manner.







5 comments:

Denise said...

Mmm, thank you. We will have to try these. My kids will love them, surely.

Carissa said...

Welcome back!!

This is such a great story, I'm definitely going to try this recipe, I LOVE pumpkin everything...so I will let you know how it goes.

missy said...

Sounds yummy! I hope they are more successful than the pumpkin soup (gross) I made last fall. :)

Jenni said...

I read about this place and sent Mo there last year. He was nice enough to bring me some of that mix. I am glad to have the recipe now, thanks.

Chelsea said...

Hey there! I found your blog through Lisa's- thanks for sharing the story and recipe...I will be trying it. And yay for the baby- and soon! That is soooo exciting! Hope all is well!