Thursday, October 11, 2007

Murphy's Law

We had a great summer, the fall's been a little rocky. Broken toe and dismembered toenail followed by two months of health issues culminating in this little story of what not to do.


Anyone who thought that I was intelligent or put-together, let me put your suspicions to rest.


Right before school started we took a last long weekend trip to Washington DC and Philidelphia with the family. When we got back we had a lot going on so we cleaned out the car into a large black garbage bag and left it in the living room to sort out later. I was in a hurry one day and put the bag behind the couch so that my cleaning "helper" wouldn't have to deal with it. Several days later (after garbage day,) I discovered that the bag had been thrown away. I wracked my brain trying to remember what was in it besides happy meal boxes and spent color wonder pictures. Over the next several weeks, several things that I had suspected were in the bag turned up: an ipod, Samuel's new flip-flops, etc. I congratulated myself on the good fortune of not losing anything of consequence. I told myself, "It's just stuff."


We spent last weekend at a cabin in the Adirondacks. We planned to take lots of pictures of the family and the beautiful Fall foliage. In the process of packing, I may have discovered the one thing of consequence that was in the big black garbage bag of doom.

That's right: camera, lens, bag, memory card, the whole shootin' match.
I told a good friend that I have one more thing to add to the long list of stupid things I will never do again.
Now I'm off to the podiatrist to spend an undetermined amount of time waiting for him to fit me in. The dismembered toe-nail that was stitched back on hasn't fallen off yet and has become infected.
Anyone feeling bad about their day should be cheered to know that today, you're not me.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

ohhh I am sooooo sorry! That could have happened to anyone. Don't let it get to you!

The Roses said...

Those are the worst feelings when you loose things....yet in a year from now you will have completely forgotten about it. Sorry about your no nail that has to hurt!

The Roses said...

Ha, sorry! I meant toe nail but soon it will be a "no" nail right!

Denise said...

Oh, I'd never want to be you. Because if I was "you," where would you be? And I like you, just how you are and just the way you are -- my dear friend who is so wonderful in every way. It was just a thing. Glad you didn't put Samuel in that bag.

Mo said...

I thought for sure you were going to say your wallet was in the bag. Sorry about the camera.

Jenni said...

the camera may not come back, but at least your toenail will!!!! that ought to be some consolation. so sorry about that and yes, you do have your wallet, very important!