Monday, October 29, 2007

Can I complain? Oh yes? I can complain.

I blame laundry for my broken toe. Haven't I suffered enough?

I know it sounds really whiny to complain about someone else doing my laundry. It sounds ungrateful, it really does.

I have lived in my apartment for more than six years. Each new neighbor has brought with them their own idiosyncrasies. My newest neighbor folds the laundry I leave in the dryer. That, in and of itself, is embarrassing. I don't want her folding my underwear and I don't want her thinking that I'm the laundry hog (I am the laundry hog, but I don't want her thinking that.) I try to do all my laundry during the day, when she is at work. I set timers to remind myself to go get the laundry. I race down the stairs if it sounds like someone is entering the laundry room when I have a load in. Frankly, my life has enough stress. I don't need this stress.

Last week, I decided to do the laundry before the weekend, before the loads were overflowing and overwhelming. Congratulations to me. I was almost done. I had the last load, the jeans, in the washer. (These were all my jeans, every pair, and not just the Lee jeans from Kohl's, also the Levi's and the Christopher Blues that I love, the pair I hide when the cleaning lady comes in case she tries to throw random laundry in with the sheets. My jeans, the jeans that make my butt look good. I never dry them. That would ruin their magic.)

I went down the stairs to get something for dinner. (Yes, in my pathetic existence, my pantry is in the garage.) I heard the washer running and I knew that something wasn't right. I ran (I'm not kidding) down the stairs to the laundry room to find my load of "reds" folded on top of the dryer and the dryer cooking every pair of jeans I own!!!!!!! I actually yelled NOOOOOO! as I wrenched open the dryer door to find . . . dry jeans. I am despondent.

I know she thinks she is being helpful. But, really, if she wanted to do something helpful, maybe she could wipe up the black dog hair that magically migrates from her large black lab all over the laundry room. That would be helpful. You know what else would be helpful. My own washer and dryer that I can leave laundry all week until it rots if I want to.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Ohhhh...I am with you...that is my biggest pet peeve. I totally hate people touching my laundry. 1. It is creepy to me to think someone else is folding my underwear. 2. They don't do it right!

If you want to go over to our house (still is not sold) you can use the washer and dryer. Leave it for hours, overnight, whatever you want! Hopefully people looking at the house don't have strange impulses to do other people laundry.

You should make up a sign with some cute quote...then hang it up right by the laundry machines.

Also, go buy yourself 5 new pairs of your favorite jeans. I know ---good jeans are priceless!!

NY Barney Family said...

oh man!!!!! That is terrible!!! but hey - shopping spree!!

Denise said...

One more reason Marianne simply must have a house by 36.

NY Barney Family said...

Hey - I want to see some pics from Saturday!

Lizzy said...

I would hate that! i dry almost everything i own and freak out when the dryer touches them.

come to colorado where personal washer and dryers are in abundance!

Chrissy said...

I feel your pain! I'm about ready to head downstairs in hopes that the washer is free! Sorry about the jeans! My neighbor at least gives me the heads up that she's switched it. Gives me time to run and catch the items I don't want dried!

The Roses said...

Oh I remember those days! I am so thankful I have a washer and dryer in my apartment or I could not survive.

jenafeldman said...

i'm with lisa--time to get new jeans! but come on...can anyone--but lisa ;) --find 5 pairs of favorite jeans!!! i have yet to find one pair i really LOVE. (

kelly said...

I don't know you (happened upon you through Lisa)but I agree 100% Anything that is so close to my body for so long is off limits to all, even my mom! It's icky.